How to claim share in ancestral property?

Mother and brother don't want to give rightful share in property, which is ancestral. Dad inherited it, left no will. Two flats combined into one, mom says one her's and one son's will give her flat to her son. Have no financial means to fight them, am a widow, children not settled as yet. Have no property in my name, want to be secure in future without having to depend on children. Brother planning on selling flat after mother, joining his family in US. Pl advice if any legal cell for women in Mumbai. Went to Majlis, but they only dealing in domestic cases, so no help forthcoming.

Answers (3)

402 votes

Assuming you are Hindus,

As per  Section 6 of the Hindu Succession Act, you have a right on the ancesteral property.

Further you will have to file a suit for partition thereby seeking claim in the property and alongwith the application you will have to file an application for temporary stay, thereby seeking status quo which means that your brother cannot sell the property.

It is an individual private matter, so you will not get  free legal aid in this matter.

337 votes

you can file civil suit against all the co sharer, so you need to appoint one good civil lawyer and consult with him. there are remedies availbale for you you have equal share in the property as the brother or sons do hav being the property is ancestral if you come under hindu laws.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

279 votes

you can file a Suit for Partition against your mother and brother. further, if you want immediate remedy for residence then you can proceed under Domestic Violence Act. being widow you need not pay the Court Fees.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles