How can i get my share in parents property from them?

Iam 23yrs.I want to know how can i get a part of my parents property.Or money from them? With respect to ancestral and self acquired property of parents?

Answers (2)

105 votes

Pls let me known which faith you follow. As there is different law applicable and governed for distribution of the ancestral property.
Presuming you belong to Hindu community, and to you Hindu law applicable.
As per Hindu Law and Latest Judgment of Bombay High Court, each and every legal heirs are entitled for eaqual share in the ancestral property in equal proportionate.
Even though property stand in the name of the one person, and/or property transfer in one person name. such person is trustee for other legal heirs.
As per Mitakshara School of Hindu law, even un born procure rights in the ancestral property, in Dayabhaga Schools of Hindu Law, the unborn child doesn't procure right.
therefore you have right to seek partition in the ancestral property.
Presuming your are belonging to momedian, in that case all mother's/wife of father are/ is entitled for 12.50%, son's entitled for 2 shares and daughter 1 share in proportionate.
Example:- father died leaving 2 wives, from 1st Wife from 1 son and 2 daughter and from 2nd wife 2 daughter and two son's.
the property required to divided as follows:-
both wives 12.5% share in deceased property.
now count the total number of share legal heirs, so it became 2 sons and 4 daughter's.
2 sons will have 4 share and daughter 4 daughter's will have 4 share.
the said share is after division of the wives share in the property i.e. 12.5%
thereafter property 87.5% shall be divided in to 8 share's out of which 4 share's will go to son's, in equal proportionate and 4 daughter's will get 4 share's in deceased property.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

251 votes

As far as ancestral property is concerned you can raise your claim by initiating a partition suit in City Civil Court. But for self acquired property of your parents, they have every right to deal with the said property as per their wish.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles