Grandfather died interstate wants to divide the property

Hi Sir, I am , From Erode, Tamilnadu. My father name is chinnasamy (65).My father having 4 sisters. All four aunties are married before 1965.Now all aunties are alive. My grandfather having 6 acre land. We (My father and me) are farmers. My grandfather died on 1998. My grandfather having no will. As per Hindu succession act 2005, my father only eligible for father's property. But all my aunties are asking equal share (1.2 acre).so please tell me actual supreme court order and how to manage this problem.

Answers (2)

230 votes

Before the 2005 amendment to the Hindu Succession Act, women had no right to share ancestral property. SC has held 9 Sept 2005 as the relevant date. Only your father shall inherit the ancestral property to the exclusion of your aunts, as your grandfather had passed away in 1998.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

172 votes

Supreme court has recently give a clear interpretation about the rights of daughters in their fathers property and every court has to abide by it . I am sorry ti inform you that your has only equal right with his sisters in his fathers property . So try for a amicable settlement instead of wasting your time and money by going for litigation.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles