Father's property to wife & children as not heard from him for 15 yrs

sir, we have a house which is in the name of my father. my father went abroad and now there is no communication between us for around 15 years ( there is no proper evidence of living or death either). in my family there are four members me, my mother, elder brother, and a younger sister. my fathers mother and father were no more. please tell me the procedure for changing the property in the shared name of my mother, me my brother and my sister.

Answers (3)

157 votes

Firstly, you must complain in near your policestation.and apply for the legalheir certificate with police complaint, and with the evidence of your father gone to foreign.IF the Tehsildar deny,you can file a case in the magistrate within your jurisdiction for getting the no objection to get the legalheir certificate.After,you can transfer your father's property as your desire.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

70 votes

You cannot legally presume your father is dead simply because there is no communication from him. Have you taken any steps to trace him? Have you filed an FIR or taken up the matter with Indian Embassy or High Commission?

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
160 votes

Your father left all of you and 15 years since passed. Therefore under law there is a presumption that he is no more. But since the property is in the name of your father, you cannot unilaterally effect change in all of your names. For that you need to go to the court by stating the facts that your father abandoned the family 15 years before and remained untraceable. The court after going through the submission finally grant your prayer and there after only armed with court order you can effect change.

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles