Father denying share in ancestral and self acquired property.

My father has some self acquired property and ancestral property. He claims the ancestral property to be also self acquired property. He is of the point of view that I as a daughter do not have share in the property. Can I claim my share in ancestral property and self acquired property?

Answers (2)

149 votes

Dear Concerned,
In so far as the self acquired property of father is concerned, he is fully authorized to give it as per his own wish. For the ancestral property, if it is not devolved upon him as per the Hindu Succession Act, 1956, the same cannot be given by him at his discretion. However, a proper advice may be given only after ascertaining the complete facts of your case.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

108 votes

You may claim your right in the ancestral property by filing a suit for partition before the civil court having jurisdiction to hear the case. As for the self acquired property your father is free to deal with it as he pleases during his lifetime but if he goes without a Will you will have a share in that property as well

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles