Does a grandson have rights on grandfathers property

Sir my grandfather has 5 sons and two daughter.on the death of my grand parents the ancestral property comes on the name of all five sons equally as their two sister's give consent to them.we are two brother's and a sister.but my father is saying that he transfer the property on the name of my younger brother and sister only .is it possible and he also threatening me that he will sold the property and give the money to my younger brother and sister. Please help me.

Answers (3)

63 votes

If the property belonged to your grandfather, and it was passed down to your father and other uncles without any will, then your father has no right to sell the property on his own, or to not give you any share. Your share cannot be taken away from you by anyone.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

80 votes

No your father can not deprive you from your legal share as you have right in this ancestral property and having equal share with your brother and sister and your father can not sell it
You can also file a suit for partition in civil court.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience
298 votes

Yes you do have a right over your father’s property in equal proportion as your other siblings have. If you fear that you’ll lose your right over the property then you can file a suit regarding the same in the court and can ask the Hon’ble court for your share over the property.
You can get back to me if you need any assistance.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles