Do I need to give notice to builder, in case of delay in possession?

I had purchased an under-construction apartment in Delhi in the year April 2013. At the time of purchase, I was told that the possession of the apartment shall be handed over to me in the month of January 2015. The builders have delayed possession of flat for more than a year now and they do not respond to any of my calls and emails. What legal remedy do I have? Do I need to issue a notice to the builder?


Since, the possession of the flat is still not given to you, you can send a legal notice through your lawyer to the builder, claiming refund of the amount paid by you in purchasing the flat along with interest and damages. 

If still the possession is not granted to you, file a consumer complaint, in the appropriate consumer dispute forum for deficiency in service, against the builder.

The appropriate consumer forum for filing the complaint depends on the value of the property; if the value:
  • Is less than 20 lakh -District Commission.
  • Is more than Rs 20 lakh - State Commission.
  • Is more than 1 crore - National Commission in New Delhi.

Before filing the complaint please make sure that you have all the adequate documents/papers like brochure, assurance of the builder for early completion etc in order to prove your allegations. 

Read more to find how to take action against builder for delayed possession.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

I have a property in Noida in the name of my husband.Due to an official assignment he is travelling out of India.Builder gave the provisional possessi…

Read More

I have bought a flat,82% of total payment disbursed at the time of sale deed.My 10% of total amount is due on flooring completion and rest on flat com…

Read More

My grievance is regarding the area where i and my parents are residing. My father bought a residential flat in the year 1985 where in the agreement it…

Read More

I have booked a flat in june 2014.As per agreement builder had to complete it on 15/3/2015.But as he did not completed the project till now,i talked t…

Read More