Do I need consent from my sisters if I want to sell my property

I am 67 years old and now planning to sell my house. I have two married sisters located in different cities. As per my mother’s will this property belongs to me. Do I need to get consent sign from my sisters before selling this house or not? R they legal entitled for share in this property?

Answers (4)

75 votes

Was this property ancestral? If self-acquired property of your mother, then she can make will in your favour. For selling such property you do not require the consent of your sisters if will in your favour.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

179 votes

File a admitted suit for declration in favour of you your distt. Court. You became a plaintiff and your sisters from the side of defendants and also your mother. Before the court your sisters & mother give a statement they have no objection to transfer this property to our brother/ son. Then court make decree in favour of you.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience
139 votes

Hello client hru.
I have gone through Ur u are saying that you wish to sale Ur property .as Ur mother have entitled you through will as the owner of the whole property.
Now u wish to knw tht are having rights to sell this property on Ur own infact as u have told facts you not only a little formalities will make you full enrolled to sell your property by urself.otherwiae a dispute. May come or arise.

195 votes

All of your questions are actually related to the contents of the Will and capacity of your mother to bequest the property in your favour. If your mother was the absolute owner and if she conveyed the same absolutely to you than there is no legal impediment in the aforesaid sale by you without the consent of your sisters.
Therefore preusal of WILL is must. For further advise you may send a copy of WILL.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles