Daughter forces father to sell half of his self acquired property

08-May-2023 (In Property Law)
Sir/Madam, my daughter is putting pressure on my husband to sell his self acquired and ancestral property whereas he is unwilling to do so. She is at the same time trying to interfere and convince my husband not give any share to me and his brother. This unnecessary pressure is causing lot of anguish and unpleasant in the family . kindly advise my rights ( as a wife vs daughter) and what legal action can be taken in this regard against her?Rgds ( religion:hindu)
Answers (4)

Answer #1
693 votes
Madam it's your husband self acquired property in which your daughter have no right so it depends on your husband that to whom your husband wants to give the share and your daughter cannot compel him to what to do.
Helpful? LawRato LawRato
Answer #2
634 votes
This case can be easily handled with a single petition before the High Court. Recently the Delhi High Court has ruled and established the law and the same is in favor of the parents. I was the one arguing the said case.

You may contact for further details of the nature of writ petition to be filed.
Helpful? LawRato LawRato
Answer #3
683 votes
you have say in husband's self acquired property. but your husband is alive and he is only owner of the said property. it is upto him decide to whom he may or may not give his property. he cannot give to his daughter if he wishes not to give, he should not be pressurised and he should not be afraid about any pressure. as regard ancestral property is concerned, your daughter has right to get her share but she cannot get others shares.

thanking you.
Helpful? LawRato LawRato
Answer #4
982 votes
You do need to worry Ma'am. The only claim your daughter can make is on the ancestral property and your husband is free to dispose his self acquired property according to his Will. The same can be executed through a 'Gift deed' or a 'Will' in your favor or that of your son. Also, if she continues to insist on the ancestral property then its better to have a partition and give her the share, which in this case would be 1/3rd of the property.
Helpful? LawRato LawRato

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."