Construction of fourth floor due to which damage on our house.

Hi, there's been a construction going on our roof, at first we were pretty okay with that but now it has started troubling us, it has created several cracks, water has started leaking from cracks which is disrupting our day to day chores n we are getting bound to switch off our appliances, please guide me to take an appropriate step

Answers (3)

94 votes

You must inform the concerned municipal authority to verify whether the construction is legal. Though such authorities are usually slow to respond.

You could file for an injunction before the concerned civil Court where you would ask the Court for an order that would stop the construction/repair work.

If the work is a hazard to your safety and of those around you, you may also approach the local police station as criminal charges are also made out. Negligent conduct with respect to pulling down or repairing a building is covered under Section 288 of the Indian Penal Code.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

305 votes

you need to find out about the sanction plan of the fourth floor.If there is no plan then the construction is illegal and you can get it stopped,sealed and demolished.Even otherwise, you can file the suit for getting the repair done and claim damages/ compensation etc.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience
225 votes

It seems like you are living in a rented accommodation. You are advised to bring all your troubles to the notice of the landlord for taking appropriate action because, after all, it is the responsibility of the landlord to ensure your uninterrupted enjoyment of the property.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles