Claim on property under our possession but documents are with cousins

26-Apr-2023 (In Property Law)
Hello sir , My father and his brother bought a property in 1992 area of 1500sq feet . As my father was younger he kept property paper on his name only. We have been living in the house since it was made and constructed further . They have been never lived here but taken home loans once in 2005 . At the time of loaning process they said to do registry of house to my moms name . As all the loan were paid and we asked them to transfer paper of house they denied . So what can we do to take proper ownership of house. Electricity bill and gas connection is on my name . We live here as the owner of house but we dont have any name on property paper. Is my case could come under adverse possession. Thanks in advance
Answers (1)

Answer #1
599 votes
Dear Client,

Thank you for sending your query.

I need a clarification from you, as per your question, the property is in your mother's name as per the records, so technically and as far as possession of the property is concerned it is with you, only the property documents are with your cousins, and you need those documents back OR is it that you wish to transfer the property from your mothers name to your fathers name?

Please clarify so that I can assist you with your query.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Vaibhav Raina

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."