Claim on brother's property after paying and in possession for 18 yrs

A plot of land owned by brother is in my possession for around 18 years. I have spent lot on it, can I claim the land.Moreover I have given more money than its market value to my brother since he promised me to register it in my name. But he has got loan from bank by mortgaging it without my knowledge. And is trying to sell it by Paying back the bank. Can I claim now, without having to pay anymore for it. And am a hindu

Answers (2)

329 votes

It is a family issue and you better sort it out within your family. Otherwise you have no other option but to file a Civil Suit either for specific performance or for recovering your money with interest in the hands of your brother. For that you need to establish the facts with accounts including the payment of money etc. It is better to issue a legal notice to your brother and wait for his reply so that you can know what is his stand?

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

178 votes

In order to claim repayment of money or purchase of property, you should have the valid proof of payment is one thing.
And in case of ancestor property, you have a right that prioritize you to purchase the subject matter by paying market value.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles