Claim in late husband's property

We are hindu. Sister's husband expired and she have 3 years old baby boy. Sister's husband had changed his property to his mother which he got from his grandpa as will. And another one is land which is his own earning. They have keeping her jewel which we put for her marriage. They are not returning the jewel. Is there any chance to get the property and jewels.

Answers (3)

101 votes

Transfer of property acquired by a legatee by means of a will to another is perfectly valid in law. The same applies to transfer of a self-acquired one. You may file a suit for reclaiming your sister's jewels, if you can support your claim by solid proof. However, it will be a long-drawn matter.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

349 votes

Your sisters son and sister has got a right in the inherited property got from the grandpa. They also can claim the self acquired property. She can claim her jewels as she wants to live independently.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience
93 votes

As far as the property is concerned your Sister's husband had executed settlement deed in favour of his Mother. Therefore, she became owner of the said property, which we cannot legally talk about.

As far as the jewels are concerned they cannot retain it as the same belongs to your Sister. We can file petition for return of properties.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

My aunt died in 2012. She own a flat in Kolkata. When she died she had 2 surviving brothers and one sisters. What is law of distribution of her proper…

Read More

My Father in Law Made a Settlement Deed of a property in Chennai towards My Wife. My Wife has passed away so is My Father in Law. My Only Son & My…

Read More

We are planning to take a home loan, where i'll be the primary applicant and my husband will be the co-applicant. now he's suggesting that the…

Read More

I stay with my mother in a pagdi flat. The house is in the name of my grandfather who is no more. My grandmother is dead. My mother is the only daught…

Read More