Can wife demand house which is in my fathers name

I have house constructed in 2014 with my father money and I contributed in it. Father passed away last year. I wish to distribute the property or want to gift it to my niece. I am awaiting for divorce as we don't have relationship since 2015. Please advise if my wife can case against me for acquiring my properly.

Answers (3)

303 votes

no where law says wife got share in a coparcenary property and as you are awaiting divorce and as now property bequeathed to you, she can claim a right of residence only to live along with you if she is willing to join you

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

285 votes

my wife can case against me for acquiring my property.?

yes. she may file for property,
1) she may file suit/case for her Share in your property.
2) if, one time settlement / permanent alimony in divorce. she will not file.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Nikhil Singh
Singh & Associates, Hubli
2 years Experience
Advocate Ricky Chopra
Sector - 49, Gurgaon
18 years Experience
Advocate Ricky Chopra
Karkardooma Court, Delhi
18 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
297 votes

This is M.A Raheem Khan Advocate, From : Hyderabad, @

you have wait till divorce, if your wife filed maintenance case against you then she also attach your share in your father property. I suggest you wait till divorce process completed. for more details kindly consult me through this website.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles