Can the daughter claim share in ancestral property of father?

I am only daughter of my parents. i am married and have changed my maiden surname to my husbands surname. my father has ancestral agriculture land and he wants it to transfer it in my name. He does not hav any sons. I am his only child. will the transfer be possible. He has a brother trying to claim on this ancestral land. how can i go about with this.

Answers (2)

220 votes

First i would like ask you whether your fathers families partion is happen or not either its oral on written. Now if its partion was happen your father,s legal aly you have all right on your fathers (anancestors) property .no body stop you to get.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

171 votes

After the amendment to the Hindu Succession Act in 2005 you are a legal heir in the property of your father. Hence the property would devolve in your name only after the death of your father as you are his only legal heir.
However, if you want things to be settled at this stage only then first ask your father to declare his intention to partition the ancestral property and have his share in the ancestral property. He can file a suit for partition in civil court to partition the property by metes and bounds. After that his share in the property will become a self -acquired property. So he can then either transfer the property by making a will or get a family settlement deed executed to transfer the property in your name.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles