Can settlement deed made be cancelled after death of the person?

My father in law made a settlement deed in favor of my husband. My husband died last year after which he cancelled the settlement deed. Can he do that? How can the legal heirs claim their share?

Answers (3)

167 votes

if the Settlement Deed is conditional Nature Settlor can cancel the Settlement if the settlement deed is Absolute Settlement Settlor have no right to cancell the deed, if your settlement deed was Absolute, you and your children are First Class Heirs So you can file a suit against your father in law

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

269 votes

Once a settlement is made and possession handed over to the settle, the settlement deed can not be cancelled. Your husband is the owner of the property and his legal heirs are entitled for a share in the property.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience
283 votes

You have stated that your father in law made a settlement deed in your husband's favor, please tell whether the said settlement deed was registered or unregistered.
If it was a registered deed, then your father in law cannot cancel the same unilaterally, it is invalid and illegal as per law.
As a legal heir of your husband you have full right in the property transferred by the settlement deed. You can file a declaration suit seeking to declare the cancellation of settlement deed as null and void and to declare the title of the legal heirs in the property and for possession if possession is not with you.?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles