Can my wife get property transferred on her name

My wife is from MP. She has 2 brothers. Father died in 2004 leaving behind his self-acquired property on mother's name. She wants to transfer it to my wife but the elder son is creating pressure and not letting her do it. Does my wife has any right on the property and can she file suit regarding this to help her mother transfer property?

Answers (4)

177 votes

If the property is a self acquired property by your mother then she can transfer the same to anybody. Your wife can not file any suit in relation to the self acquired property. Also the right of a daughter in the coparcenary's property is generated only after amendement in Hindu Succession Act in 2005 with a condition that on the date of amendment in 2005 both the father and daughter must be alive.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

311 votes

Dear user, please clarify the mode by which your father in law transfer the property in your mother in law name .?
Wheter he purchased the property by name of your mother in law or he executed a gift deed or transfer his self acquired property by any other mode in yours mother in law name ..

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience
150 votes

(1) Your wife cannot file any suit for getting the property transferred to herself.

(2) Your brother-in-law cannot legally pressurize your mother-in-law to distribute the property.

(3) Your desire to get whole property transferred to your wife is not morally right. As the property was self-acquired property of your father-in-law, then it will be justified that your brother-in-laws too get equal share.

(4) No one has right on the property except your mother-in-law. She can dispose the property according to her will, but her will should not be affected by influence of anyone including you and your wife.

334 votes

Welcome dear
Yes your wife has right to In her father's property .and mother also transfer the property if she has a title. And it is clear that the dispute property is self acquire .so the property can transfer to ur wife by law

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles