Can joint property be modified or converted without partner's consent

Hi, I have a House in Noida, co owned by my brother and father--registered in name of 3 of us. Initially we were all living together, but due to work requirement I had to move to another state. While leaving I locked my portion so as to keep it as it is when I return on holidays or permanently. Now my brother wants to convert part of house into clinic and also wants to build another floor. My question is can he make changes to the property without my consent and if yes what are my rights as co owner. Thanks

Answers (2)

342 votes

U say property is co owened by your brother,father and u.if that is so then any alteration in the given property Can be done after consent of all three and not by any individual of his own,unless untill partition of the property has been arrived at.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

164 votes

whatever be the renovation, extra construction, extension in the property would not change the share holder's right over the property. if you have 1/3rd share, it will be same for all times.
share in property can be changed only through mutual consent

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles