Can I sell property which is in father's (expired) name.

I am one of the five sisters and one brother. My parents and brother have expired. We have a house where my brother was staying with his family. After his death his widow shifted to a new house. Now all have agreed to sell the said plot to a promoter. My father’s name is there as the owner of the plot. Relevant documents are also in his name. There is no mention of our name. What steps we have to take before we can talk to the promoter? What are the prerequisite that we should fulfil before starting a dialogue with the promoter? Kindly guide us giving all the details. I am a hindu. Regards

Answers (3)

327 votes

If the plot was not transferred to any one then all of you need to mutate your names on the record of that plot/building. After that you will be able to deal with the promoter or If the promoter agrees you can directly deal with him by executing an affidavit.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

209 votes

You have not exact date of your father's death given.If all agreed to sell or release rights to promoter.Then mutation in regard to succession have to be carried out. Then all legal heirs name mutated on record.Then you have to take power of attorney in your name or any other name as per your wish. And income proceed shall be written in power of attorney to whom and what percentage shall go.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
180 votes

1. Check is there any will made by your father.
2.If no then make testamentory application before honorable court wherein you need to disclose all your movable and immovable property and as well as all legal heirs. Once court pronounce its verdict, thereafter execute testamentory certificate and same need to be dispatc before appropriate housing developing authority such as BMC or Mada and then you can put forth your word with promoter regarding above said concern.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles