Can GPA holder transfer property without permission of actual owner

My father purchased the site from a person AA in 1995 by GPA.GPA is registered and gives right for my father to sell and enjoy as wanted by my father.Till today, my father has not registered the property on his name nor sold .There was no objection from the person who gave the GPA till today. But now, my father is planning to sell for which i suggested him to first register the property .Now the questions is can my father register the property on my name, with out the presence of the person who gave the GPA to my father?The GPA person is alive today.Wedontwanttocallhim as he may ask money.

Answers (1)

326 votes

A recent supreme court verdict is quite significant, in disallowing “General Power Of Attorney” (GPA) as a legitimate way to transfer property title

That GPAs are not valid transfers of ownership. Only registered sale deeds are.

But it’s not with retrospective effect; existing properties that have been purchased from a GPA holder (before October 11, 2011) won’t be affected. Even those who hold a GPA today can “regularize” it by converting it into a sale deed, but they can no longer sell it to a third party.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles