Can father divide property in name of mother and son's?

Father is dividing properties between sons. He also want to divide it in name of mother. Can He do the same? Or is it necessary to keep that property in his name only and only after his death it will go to mother.

Answers (3)

381 votes

If the property is self acquired property and not an Ancestral Property or HUF (Hindu Undivided Property)  then the father can do whatever he pleases with the property which includes giving it or a share of it to his wife. 

218 votes

Yes, your father can give the property to his wife as she is also a Legal heir. As per law if your father dies without a Will then the property will devolve amongst all his legal heir including your mother and sister.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

203 votes

you father in his lifetime can do whatever he wants to if the property is not ancestral,meaning if the property was owned by your grandfather,if you fahter has purchased it with his own income he can during his lifetime divide the shares as per his wish.The mode of dividing would be gift deed to each son and wife defining the percentage of share.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
24 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles