Can daughter claim share in father's property

Sir ,' A' died in 1952. After death of A, the self acquired property of him were mutated in the name of her wife B. In 1954 , General partition amongst B and her daughter's took place but one daughter could not get share as she already got the property more than her share as gift in her marriage by her Father A. The partition were certified in 1976. Now, whether that daughter can claim her share in the property of her father?

Answers (2)

135 votes

Well A got her share as gift, doesn’t mean that she was thrown out of the remaining share in the property unless there was a family arrangement. Further if she has to claim she would also have to cover the limitation part. Rest can be explained after doing through the documents m. Plz contact me for further assistance.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

213 votes

No, she can’t.
The father died in 1952, so as per Law she can’t because the Hindu Succession Act only came in 1956, so eventually before that there was only maintenance right and no share in property right.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Nikhil Singh
Singh & Associates, Hubli
2 years Experience
Advocate Ricky Chopra
Sector - 49, Gurgaon
18 years Experience
Advocate Ricky Chopra
Karkardooma Court, Delhi
18 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles