Can daughter claim a share on her father's property

My father has disowned me as I am getting married of my own choice. I am Hindu, and am getting married to a Hindu.Right now I am not married yet, but will be getting married soon. Wanted to know if i can at least claim a share of his property. I have a job, but i need something for backup as I cannot rely on my job throughout.

Answers (2)

To start with we have had a similar case related to your problem, the suit was decreed in our client's favour, father had to give share to his son.
Firstly you must understand that there is no concept of disowning a son in Indian legal system. As far as disowning is concerned in terms of property law, a son can be disinherited ONLY from the self acquired property of the father, but he will still have equal rights as the father over the ancestral or the coparcenary property of the Hindu Undivided Family.
Now what does this mean? It means that your father cannot disown you from the property inherited by him as ancestral property from your grandfather, he can disown you ONLY from his self acquired property (but we have loopholes for that too).
We can file a suit for partition and claim your share in the property right away, as he might think of disposing off the ancestral property which might create further complications.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

No offspring can claim a right over the self-acquired property of the father, during the course of his life. However, upon his death, you can claim your share provided he hasn't already bequeathed the property by way of a will to someone else.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Draft an Agreement to Sell

4.9 | 94 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Agreement to sell drafted by a local experienced advocate
Property Verification / Due Diligence

4.8 | 421 ratings
Property Verification, Title Search and due diligence conducted by a local experienced advocate
Legal Notice for Delay in Construction

4.4 | 24 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
15 Minutes Property Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 541 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on your Property Matter
Document Review - Agreement to Sell

4.7 | 108 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Agreement to Sell review by a local experienced advocate
Draft a Sale Deed / Property Purchase Agreement

4.6 | 197 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Sale Deed / Property Purchase Agreement drafted by a local experienced advocate
Document Review - Gift Deed

4.3 | 37 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Gift Deed review by a local experienced advocate
Draft a Gift Deed

4.6 | 182 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Gift Deed drafted by a local experienced advocate
Document Review - Sale Deed

4.8 | 73 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Sale Deed review by a local experienced advocate
Property Registration

4.7 | 291 ratings
Get your property registered through an experienced local advocate
Title Opinion Report

4.8 | 193 ratings
Get a detailed Title Opinion Report by expert real estate lawyers in your city
Legal Heir / Succession Certificate

4.8 | 71 ratings
Apply for a Legal Heir / Succession Certificate through a local experienced advocate
Similar questions

My father purchased a land infront of a highway 15 years back and now we want to sell registration everything has been completed but to a deed is requ…

Read More

If family settlement deed is executed thereafter members are against decision taken in deed if decision was taken by pressure that we will not claim s…

Read More

My father passed away nearly 17 years back.I am the only child and I'm married. Now my mom is not willing to give my father's property(owned b…

Read More

Can I get compensation to the lands taken over by forest and revenue dept, after converting inam land to raithawari patta after abolition of inam land…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue