Can a joint registration be made of an inherited property

Hello, I am from Chennai. My Mother passed away recently and she has a plot (2400 sq ft) with ground floor & first floor house build. The property is registered under my mother's name.Myself and my older brother would be inheriting the property. Both myself and my brother have a liking for ground floor house and not keen on taking first floor house.So in this case, my suggestion was to have the complete property registered under both myself and brothers name, from mothers name instead of having first floor house registered to one person and ground floor registered to another person.Is this a possible option? If not, please suggest other possible ways to work this out. Thanks

Even without registration under law you are the joint owners both for the land and as well as for the superstructure i.e. building. Hence there is no need to go for registration for the said property. In the event of selling the property only both of you can execute the sale deed in favor of the prospective buyer.

In such case, Registration is not required. However mutation i.e.name change of Patta / Town Survey Land Register in Revenue Department , Property tax records in Greater Chennai Corporation , Electricity service connection in TANGEDCO, water and sewerage tax records in CMWSSB, from your mother name to both your brother name and your name. Registration will arise only incase of Partition between both of you or Release/Sell by either one of you to other . Both of you can jointly sell the property to third party.