Can a joint registration be made of an inherited property

Hello, I am from Chennai. My Mother passed away recently and she has a plot (2400 sq ft) with ground floor & first floor house build. The property is registered under my mother's name.Myself and my older brother would be inheriting the property. Both myself and my brother have a liking for ground floor house and not keen on taking first floor house.So in this case, my suggestion was to have the complete property registered under both myself and brothers name, from mothers name instead of having first floor house registered to one person and ground floor registered to another person.Is this a possible option? If not, please suggest other possible ways to work this out. Thanks

Answers (2)

253 votes

Even without registration under law you are the joint owners both for the land and as well as for the superstructure i.e. building. Hence there is no need to go for registration for the said property. In the event of selling the property only both of you can execute the sale deed in favor of the prospective buyer.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

233 votes

In such case, Registration is not required. However mutation change of Patta / Town Survey Land Register in Revenue Department , Property tax records in Greater Chennai Corporation , Electricity service connection in TANGEDCO, water and sewerage tax records in CMWSSB, from your mother name to both your brother name and your name. Registration will arise only incase of Partition between both of you or Release/Sell by either one of you to other . Both of you can jointly sell the property to third party.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles