Brother & his son object gift deed given by father to his daughter

Hi, I belongs to Hindu family. My father wants to gift his immovable property to me, a married daughter. Because I have been looking after my parents. My brother's wife and son stay with us but my brother left us several years back. And my father is a owner of this property. We both wants to know that a. can brother and his son object on the gift deed? b. What are the fees to make gift deed in our case? Please advise. Thank you

Answers (2)

310 votes

If your father acquired property by his sole income and not inherited property. Then such property of father is self acquired property.and self acquired property can be transferred to any person.There is no necessity of consent of others.For fees you can inquire into Sub Registrar Office in which area property is situated.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

235 votes

Hi, if your dad is owner of the property and its his self acquired property, then he can do whatever he wants as he deems fit in his lifetime. Your brother is only a presumptive heir and thus he and his son cannot legally object against the gift of the property to your name.
Presently a gift of residential flat by a person to his lineal descendant is exempt from stamp duty. Only a nominal stamp duty of Rs. 200 will have to be paid. So gift of residential flat by father to his daughter attracts minimum stamp duty of 200 only.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

A property belong to son and his wife. Can the son gift half of his share in the property to his parents and can wife can sell her half share in the p…

Read More

My father has a immmovable property in his individual name and he has self earned it . He wished to give it to me out of love and affection For this w…

Read More

Greetings!! My father and his brothers wrote a partition deed on white papers not registered. Based on the deed my father gifted his share of property…

Read More

what all the documents have to be submitted along with the giftdeed…

Read More