Who to contact if muslim wife wants divorce?

to whome the wife has to contact to get divorce from a cruel husband-who is not willing to give divorce to the wife?

Answers (1)

261 votes

If the husband is ready for mutual consent divorce, she can approach the local Kazi for 'Khula' or mutual consent divorce as per Muslim personal law OR
She can approach civil court with a divorce suit or family court with a petition for divorce under section 2 of Dissolution of Muslim Marriage Act, 1939 seeking divorce on the grounds of cruelty.
Any other procedure than the above mentioned will not be a legally recognised action to dissolve the marriage. Please note that only Muslim women can approach court for divorce and not men, because men can pronounce 'Talaq' and convey the decision to the wife which will be legally valid 'divorce' as per Muslim personal aw.

Triple Talaq is a type of Divorce in Islam. Check out the rules related to triple talaq and validity of triple talaq (talaq ul biddat) here at LawRato.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Muslim Law Lawyers

Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Sudershani Ray
Kailash Hills, Delhi
14 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
18 years Experience
Advocate Suksham Aggarwal
Punjab and Haryana High Court, Chandigarh
8 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Muslim Law Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles