How much will my wife take from my property if I want to divorce

We are sunni Muslims and if I divorce my wife, I have a 1bhk flat on my name and small shop in joint names currently both are on rent. If I divorce her what is she entitled for? Married from last 3&1/2 years with a 2 year old son. Also what about the gold I made for her during wedding. I have a nikka nama and also have registered this with municipal office. Pls help me know how much and what all will I lose and how many years I need to pay her as maintainance and child support. The reason for divorce is I want to marry my friend. Pls help.

Answers (1)

457 votes

Even after the divorce the muslim wife is entitled to claim maintenance.A Muslim husband is liable to make a reasonable and fair provision for the future of the divorced wife which obviously includes her maintenance as well.”

Such a reasonable and fair provision extending beyond theiddat period must be made by the husband within the iddat period. His liability, arising from Section 3 of the Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Divorce) Act to pay maintenance, “is not confined to the iddat period.”

The amount which you are required to pay should be mutually settled and further in the said agreement agree the time frame. 

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Muslim Law Lawyers

Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
17 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
26 years Experience
Advocate Sudershani Ray
Kailash Hills, Delhi
13 years Experience
Advocate Sunita Bafna
Mumbai Central, Mumbai
7 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Muslim Law Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles