Transfer of tenancy after the death of parents

Two brothers are living in the same rented premises. Father-mother died. Who will be legally eligible to get the tenancy transferred in his name? Will the other brother be evicted from the house as he is harassing the others?

Answers (2)

327 votes

Hi client, after the death of parents it can be transferred on your or your brothers name based on seniority of age. However, you both have equal rights to stay in your parents home and cannot be thrown out for any reason. The will made by parents can also state who can inherit the property. Also have a look at the agreement made by your parents. Even if they would own the flat in building, they would be obligied to pay rent to the landlord/society anyways which even after their death as you both are legally staying there are bound to. If your parents have made will which states the flat to be transferred on of your names, that doesnot give your brother the right to throw you out of the premises.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

60 votes

Respected client, if the tenancy is on the name of father then after death of father all remaining legal hairs having equal right in tenancy right .. in your case both brother having right over property equilly provided there is no any special clause in tenancy agreement . Other brother can't evicted to other one

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
14 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."