Landlord got cheque bounced and filed case for non payment of rent

I paid rent of month of july to the landlord through cheque on 5th of July. However, she didn't present it till 20th of july and on 20th juy I gave her a notice to vacate the house verbally. I got the cheque stopped from my bank but by that time she had presented the cheque in her bank which after 2 days got rejected/bounced. Now, I am asking her to give me back the rejected cheque but she is not ready to listen. Now, my question is that Can she file a lawsuit against me on this matter? or what shall i Do?

Answers (2)

191 votes

Hi Sir,

Yes sir, she can file a suit under section 138 under N.I Act. There are many things that I should know before I gave u a fair advice so we need to discuss the same. Kindly get in touch.

Gurmoj goyal

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

344 votes

If you have paid the rent and wants to stay no more in same premese than you contact a lawyer get the notice issue to lond lord. And write in that notice that after so and so date I m not your tenat. The cheque which i have given you , kindly return and do not misuse that cheque. Otherwise he will issue a legal notice u/ s 138 ni act.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
14 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."