Can the landlord put an eviction notice later

I have a flat in a chawl in Mumbai (Under the pagdi system) where I live with my family. I want to move to a new location in pune. I plan to put the chawl flat on rent. The landlord is ready to sign on an agreement where we will share the rent received from the chawl flat. My query is can the landlord later on (in any way) put an eviction notice on the grounds that 1) I am not staying there and 2) that he has bonafide need for it (Even if he has explicitly agreed to share the rent received in the agreement)?

Answers (3)

258 votes

Yes he can... Even if you he has agreed for the same.. U better see your old rent agreement ..what it says about the sublet.. Even if you execute certain documents with new tenant he can challenge. Execute a fresh agreement seeking amendement in the old one.. Having a clause of subletting the premises

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

332 votes

This is my response to you:
1. Take NOC from the landlord to let out the property on rent;
2. Enter into an agreement so that he is bound by its clauses;
3. Once you obtain the above two requisites then he cannot evict you;
4. Once the terms and conditions are laid down then the landlord cannot cheat you.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
14 years Experience
92 votes

There is a remedy . We can include certain clauses in the agreement whch shall restrain him from doing so. contact for further assistance.................................................................

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."