How to recover dues from ex employer

I sent a legal notice to my ex employer to recover my dues that are long withheld from me but he has ignored my notice. What are my options now? Do I need to file a case. Is not ignoring a legal notice a contempt of court?

Answers (2)

263 votes

What dues you want to recover is it any pending salary or full and final settlement from the company or is it PF or Gratuity amount ? Why you have kept quite for long time without proceeding earlier to get the clearance. You can file a case before jurisdictional court through your advocate.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

87 votes

Ignoring a legal notice does not amount to any offence. However, for the said recovery; you need to read the following paragraph:
Did you enter into an employment contract with your employer? If yes, then do share the details because it would contain a clause regarding resignation and payment of salary in lieu of notice period. If not, then you should immediately send a legal notice to your employer and demand payment of your dues and if your company then fails to pay then you can approach the appropriate labour court for redressal.

Popular Labour & Service Lawyers

Advocate Ricky Chopra
Karkardooma Court, Delhi
18 years Experience
Advocate Ricky Chopra
Sector - 49, Gurgaon
18 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Labour & Service Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles