How to recover dues from ex employer

I sent a legal notice to my ex employer to recover my dues that are long withheld from me but he has ignored my notice. What are my options now? Do I need to file a case. Is not ignoring a legal notice a contempt of court?

What dues you want to recover is it any pending salary or full and final settlement from the company or is it PF or Gratuity amount ? Why you have kept quite for long time without proceeding earlier to get the clearance. You can file a case before jurisdictional court through your advocate.

Ignoring a legal notice does not amount to any offence. However, for the said recovery; you need to read the following paragraph:
Did you enter into an employment contract with your employer? If yes, then do share the details because it would contain a clause regarding resignation and payment of salary in lieu of notice period. If not, then you should immediately send a legal notice to your employer and demand payment of your dues and if your company then fails to pay then you can approach the appropriate labour court for redressal.