Marriage between Hindu girl and Muslim boy

हिंदी में पढ़ें
June 20, 2019
By Advocate Chikirsha Mohanty

Marriage between a Hindu girl and a Muslim boy is governed under the Hindu law, Muslim Law and Special Marriage Act, 1954.

The "religion" of the marriage is ascertained by the customs and ceremonies performed therein. A saptapadi ("seven steps") is crucial for a Hindu marriage, while a nikahnama along with a qazi and two witnesses, among other things, hold importance in an Islamic wedding. Consequently, either of them would be bound by the laws relating to maintenance, divorce, inheritance, adoption and succession according to the religion of marriage.

Connect with an expert lawyer for your legal issue

Under Muslim Law

In the event of Marriage between a Muslim boy and a Hindu girl under the Muslim law, the Hindu girl will need to convert to Islam for the solemnization of the marriage. Muslim law contains specific provisions for conversion.

A Muslim marriage requires proposal (Ijab) from one party and acceptance (Qubul) from the other as is required for a contract. Moreover, the consent to marriage must be free of coercion, fraud or undue influence.


Under the Hindu law

Hindu law does not contain any specific provisions for conversion, only ceremonies like Namakarana Samskaras where an individual adopts traditional Hindu name or Yajna is held. Religious organization Arya Samaj also offers service for procedural conversion to Hinduism.

The Muslim boy could convert to Hinduism and solemnise the marriage according to Hindu rites, which will bring it within the purview of the Hindu Marriage Act.

Consult: Top Family Lawyers in India

Under Special Marriage Act, 1954

The most ideal way would be for both partners to get their marriage registered under the Special Marriage Act. They can also have a wedding performed according to their own religious rites, for their own satisfaction and no conversions are required.

The Special Marriage Act, 1954 provides for a special form of marriage in certain cases and for the registration of such and certain other marriages and also for divorce available to all citizens of India married under the Act.

A marriage between any two persons may be solemnized under this act, if at the time of the marriage the following conditions are fulfilled, namely: 

  • Neither party has a spouse living:

  • Neither party is capable of giving the valid consent to it in consequence of unsoundness of mind; or

  • though capable of giving a valid consent, has been suffering from mental disorder of such a kind or to such an extent as to be unfit for marriage and the procreation of children: or

  • has been subject to recurrent attacks of in sanity

  • the male has completed the age of 21 years and female the age of eighteen years;

  • The parties are not within the degrees of prohibited relationship:

  • Provided that where a custom governing at least one of the parties permits of a marriage between them, such marriage may be solemnized, notwithstanding that they are within the degree of prohibited relationship; and

  • Where the marriage is solemnized in the State of Jammu and Kashmir, both parties are a citizen of India domiciled in the territories to which this Act extends}.

    Connect with an expert lawyer for your legal issue

It should be noted that Islam expressly forbids Muslims from people who aren't Muslims, Christians or Jews. So while a marriage according to Hindu law would be a perfectly valid marriage under Special Marriage Act, but it would not be considered valid under the Muslim religious code and would be deemed to be an adulterous (or sinful) relationship.


These guides are not legal advice, nor a substitute for a lawyer
These articles are provided freely as general guides. While we do our best to make sure these guides are helpful, we do not give any guarantee that they are accurate or appropriate to your situation, or take any responsibility for any loss their use might cause you. Do not rely on information provided here without seeking experienced legal advice first. If in doubt, please always consult a lawyer.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16 , Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala , Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street , Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills , Hyderabad
17 years Experience
Connect with top Family lawyers for your specific issue

Legal Questions Answered by Top Lawyers

Family Law Articles

​Women, know your rights before getting married: Rights of daughters-in-law in India

Looking to adopt a child? Everything you need to know before adopting

Rights in live-in relationships

Abortion Laws in India

User Reviews

4.8 - 20 reviews

Very nice article. Can you please share the law governing hindu-muslim divorce?

Kartik on Oct 04, 2020

what is the procedure to register a hindu-muslim marriage?

Mamta on Sep 08, 2020

Can you please share about divorce between hindu girl and muslim boy?

Swapna on Oct 15, 2020

Good article on marriage of hindu and muslim. Also tell about other religions.

Venkatesh on Oct 17, 2020

Please tell rights of muslim girl in marriage

Nandini on Sep 20, 2020

Gave a clear understanding about my legal issue.

Adarsh on Sep 23, 2020

thanks for the info. How can we contact a lawyer?

Abhijeet on Oct 18, 2020

amazing article

Rahul on Sep 30, 2020

helpful in understanding the law

Sandip on Sep 20, 2020

thanks for the information

Bharat on Sep 16, 2020

Nicely written article. Very comprehensive.

Shubham on Oct 03, 2020

good article. Can you give some more detail on the issue.

Mohan on Sep 06, 2020

nice article. Thanks for the information

Suman on Oct 14, 2020

good work. Keep it up

Swati on Sep 27, 2020

good advice. Who can I contact for my legal issue?

Ashwini on Oct 07, 2020

Very informative and a good read as well.

Manjunath on Sep 03, 2020

its very helpful on the subject

Kavitha on Oct 02, 2020

who can I contact for my legal case?

Sourav on Oct 02, 2020

very well written

Anurag on Sep 20, 2020

thanks for the advice

Abhijit on Oct 16, 2020