×

What is the amount of maintenance that a wife can claim

I am having 9 months old son. His father left him and me at my mother home.Till now 5 months have been passed he has not visited us neither given maintenance. I am postgraduate but not working and he is earning rs.50,000 per month. How much maintenance l can get?

You and yous son can claim maintenance from the father of your son. You can file maintenance petition under section 125 Cr. P.C. and also under the provisions of DV Act. the amount of maintenance is decided by the Court by keeping in view the income of the husband, his other liabilities, age of the child etc. fi he is earning Rs. 50,000/- per month and you can prove that in the Court, you may get Rs.15,000-20,000 per month. Rest all depends on the wisdom of the Court.

Don’t worry there are lot of provisions in your favour. You can get compensation under section 125 of crpc and u are also entitled for compensation under section 12 of domestic violence act. Your child is also entitled for maintenance and compensation. U can also file criminal complaint under section 498 a of ipc.

Advocate Preeti Joshi

It will be 1/3 of your total income. Court can be order any other amout also like 5000, 7000 its depent on lawyer what type of arguments he will give in court. So you hire a good lawyer in this case..