My mother sold my wife's jewelry and harasses her. What to do?

Can I take action against my mother who is troubling and threatening me and my wife? I have been married for 5 years and my mother keeps troubling my wife and me every now and then.


Soon after marriage she even took my wife's jewellery with her, only not to give it back to her. She also purchased some property after selling my wife's jewellery. Will I be able to get the money worth the jewellery sold and the property if I file a case against her?



Your spouse can file a case against Domestic Violence Act against your mother and she can also file a case under 498 IPC. Your spouse has the right over her stree dhan but she cannot claim anything out of the property of your mother.


To assist you better we will have to see the documents of the property your mother bought with that money.


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
34 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

My father wants to give his all property to his elder son. We are only two brothers without sister. My elder brother is settled in UK. I am also not s…

Read More

Hi Sir , , I would like to know how the partition on Grandfather's property be done. My father is the eldest one have 4 sister and 3 brother the p…

Read More

I have been working from past 13yrs and have invested in property and business for my husband and brother in law. I took huge loans from banks too. My…

Read More

Father died young(38 years) in year 1953 without leaving a will.there are three childern two sons and married daughter.the mother died some where in t…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue