My daughter threatens us to commit suicide

Dear , my daughter had an love affair( not sexually ) with 3 persons in 2 consecutive years.. at present she is 18+ and the guy she has a relation with is 21+ . Now we are fearing that these guys can take advantage of my daughter( sexually).. And if that happens we will have no face in our society ,and we can never get a good partner for her.. At present she is so desparate,that she does not even care our guardianship when she goes to meet him.. we can not prevent her from meeting with him or contacting with him. We have proposed her to get married with the guy she has relationship, or to get married by our choice, but we don't want to leave her unmarried. She refused to marry that very guy at present, she refused to marry any other person either..she is threatening of committing suicide if we try to get her married. Her counterpart also refused to marry at present. If I let my daughter to do as she wants, she will obviously make us malign in our society that we think. ( Hindu )

Answers (1)

91 votes

Dear Sir,

Your daughter is a major and you cannot force anything on her. she has the right to live her own life and choose her own partner for future as well.

Please lodge a NCR with the local police. Handle the matter with patience. If you send detailed episodes of her aggressiveness then only it is possible to give proper advice

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Gouri Shankar Hemekari
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
23 years Experience
Advocate Ricky Chopra
Sector - 49, Gurgaon
18 years Experience
Advocate Ricky Chopra
Karkardooma Court, Delhi
18 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."