×

Legality of writing on stamp paper promise to get married in future

My boyfriend is asking to mention in stamp paper that, i am going to marry him in future, if my family members do Not allow me to marry him then he will file a complaint against me, i am not getting what should i do. I am not sure that in future he will respect me or give respect to my parents. What shld i do now?

There can be no action for breach of promise unless a contract to marry has been made. There are no formal requirements regarding the contract. It need not to be evidenced by writing and the law prescribes no particular form of words. A promise by one person to marry another is not binding unless and until that other also promises to marry the first person. Mutual promises to marry may be implied from the conduct of the parties. A declaration of intention to marry another made to a third person will not constitute a promise unless communicated to the other person on the authority of the person making the declaration. While it is not necessary that the mutual promises should be concurrent, both should be made within a reasonable time of one another. An action for breach of promise to marry may be taken by a man as well as a woman. In modern times there have been instances of successful actions by men.

Promises to marry made by minors are voidable at the option of the minor. A minor may sue on such a promise but may not be sued, even if he or she has ratified the promise after coming of age. On reaching majority a new and independent promise to marry the other person will be binding. This distinction has been thought to be difficult to apply in actual cases and has been, variously described as “perplexing” and “somewhat subtle”, leading to “some extreme refinements”.

Advocate Preeti Joshi