Is it illegal to approach a girl's family for marriage

Dear Sir / Ma'am, I approached a family of a girl for giving marriage proposal on my personal behalf. She was a fellow student at my college but not a friend. She neither gave any personal information like contact number or address, rather I never asked. Recently, I got her CV on the website where she had started teaching in an collage where her address was mentioned. Can you please tell me is it legally wrong as per any of the Indian Penal Court laws in any way to physically visit her place to approach her parents at the stated address in CV to place a potential marriage proposal? If yes, then please provide the section and other relevant details. We both are Hindu. Thanks

Answers (2)

350 votes

Visiting her parents for marriage proposal wont be wrong . but if hey refuse and you still persue the matter that may be counted as harrasment and violation of personal liberty. on the other hand if you approach the girl and she feels offended it will be offence u/s 354 IPC. so approaching the parents of the girl is not a problem. the problem would only be if the do not give consent and you still persue the matter.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

165 votes

No , Its Normal . If you not done anything wrong in her house then no problem. If you have not forced related to marriage. Then no problem . Other think will say after discuss full information related this matter.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."