How to make sure that my wife won't falsely accuse me if I ask divorce

I live with spouse in USA. We been in USA for 12 years (me from Apr 2006 and she was here even earlier and returned after marriage in Dec 2005 itself). and since 2014 we are Permanent residents. Have one kid. She and I never got along and don’t have sexual relations since 8-9 years but live together. She never liked sex and I eventually gave up. Don’t even talk to each other. We have nothing between us. I’m very tired of this and want divorce so I can start a new life with someone else. Have not talked to spouse about divorce. Getting a divorce in US would not be a problem but I’m scared she might get influenced by family to file 498a. She is very conservative and simple person and not aggressive at all and keeps quiet all the time. Me or my family has never asked for even one rupee from her . She has never been harassed about anything ever. She is a good nature and very simple woman but I’m scared she could file 498a just to ruin me and family and so that I have to go back to India

Answers (2)

251 votes

There is nothing in LAW which makes sure that if you ask/file divorce wife won't file 498a etc.

though you have not the healthy relationship with your wife, i suggest you, talk to her in a friendly way and convince her for Mutual Consent Divorce which will be best for, of course, both of you.

For any clarification call/mail me.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

319 votes

Dear client, you should first talk for an amicable settlement. If not, yes we can proceed with the litigation. Do not worry a simple legal notice in order to inform you intentions would be suffice. You may also keep things on your E mail in order to safe guard yourself in the future.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
23 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
34 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."