How to get my well settled brother to take care of our elderly mother?

My brother doesn’t wish to take care of our elderly mother. Is there any law by which I can force him to take care of our mother?

He has a well settled job in Banglore.


Your mother can make application under maintenance and welfare of senior citizens act 2007.

Another application can be made under Section 125 Cr.P.C.

It provides in-expensive and speedy procedure to claim monthly maintenance for parents and senior citizens. 

This Act casts obligations on children to maintain their parents. Such application for maintenance can be filed by the senior citizen or a parent himself, or if such person is incapable, then by any other person or any registered organisation authorised by him. 

The Tribunal can also suo motu(by itself) take cognizance of the case. After receiving the application the Tribunal may issue notice to the respondent-children/relative and provide them time to furnish their reply.

Such application for maintenance should be disposed of within 90 days from the date of service of notice of application to the respondent.

However, the Tribunal can extend time for a maximum period of 30 days in exceptional circumstances after recording reason. The Tribunal is having power to allow interim maintenance pending disposal of the case.


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
34 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

my father filed declaratory suit against my brother and made a registered will infavor of me and expired when case was in court then i bacame the part…

Read More

We had lots of fights in the future and i doubt he was having an affair also. Now he has fleed away to a different country, is there any way i can sto…

Read More

I married 6 months before and my wife did not come my home even for 1 day. We never had physical relationship. They are not ready to come. We had a mu…

Read More

I am above 18 and post graduate.I want to marriage my own choice boy but they refused to meet and said me to go from home.Now when I join job they tra…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue