How to file for divorce under Muslim Personal Law

I want divorce from my wife, she filed a false dowry case against me and my family, and she also threaten me to file again dawry case against me and my family. So I want divorce under Muslim personal law with evidence because I am a Government Servant.

Answers (2)

200 votes

First you should worry about the complaint and not divorce. If the lady is about to file a police complaint than you should first find out if the complaint is filed or not and if it is filed than seek bail

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

317 votes

Generally, both the parties to the marriage contract have an opinion for divorce, but the husbands right in this respect is much greater than that of the wife.

The husband can dissolve the marriage tie at his will. A divorce can also take place by mutual agreement.

But the wife cannot divorce herself from her husband without his consent. She can of course purchase her divorce from her husband and can have the marriage dissolved by Tafweez (delegation).

Marriage may also be dissolved by judicial decree under the Dissolution of Muslim Marriage Act, 1939.

Divorce by husband/wife

A Husband may divorce in the following manner-
Talaq: which is release from the marriage tie immediately or eventually.
Ila: where a husband of sound mind takes a vow that he will abstain from all relationship from his wife.
Zihar: where husband sane and adult compares his wife to his mother or any other female within the prohibited degrees.
A wife may divorce in the following manner-
Talaqetafwiz: talaq by the wife under the husbands delegated power.
Divorce by judicial decree under dissolution of The Muslim Marriage Act,1939

Following are the grounds on which a marriage may be dissolved under the Marriage Act.
Lian: Where the wife is charged with adultery and the charge is false.She can file a regular suit for dissolution of marriage as a mere application to the court is not the proper procedure.
Fask: The cancellation, abolition, revocation, annulment. Before the passing of the dissolution of Marriage Act, Muslim women could only apply for the dissolution of their marriage under the doctrine of Fask.

A Muslim woman may file for divorce on the following grounds-
That the whereabouts of the husband have not been known for a period of 4 years
That the husband has neglected or has failed to provide for her maintenance for a period of two years.
That the husband has been sentenced to imprisonment for a period of seven years or upwards.
That the husband has failed to fulfill his marital obligation for a period of three years.
That the husband has been insane for two years or is suffering from leprosy or a virulent form of venereal disease.
That the husband was impotent at the time of marriage and continues to be so.
The women, having being given in marriage by her father or other guardian before she attained the age of 15 years, repudiated the marriage before attaining the age of 18.
Triple divorce

Triple divorce is a recognized but disapproved form of divorce and is considered by the Islamic jurists as an innovation within the fold of Sharia. It commands neither the sanction of Holy Quran nor the approval of the Holy Prophet.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."