Hot to get marriage certificate after 18 years of marriage

We both are Hindus. we got married in 1999. We have two kids aged 12 and 6. We live in Goa for last 18 years. My husband from even before. We have all our legal documents in Goa. I was born and brought up in Mumbai and my husband in Chennai. We would like to register our marriage here in Goa now. We also have all the necessary documents like birth certificate, school leaving certificate and residence proof. Kindly advice if it's possible to do it and how ?

Answers (1)

191 votes

Procedure and time limit for registration
The parties to a marriage shall prepare a memorandum in duplicate in Form No. I appended to these Rules along with two separate sets of photos and shall submit the same to the Local Registrar within a period of forty-five days from the date of solemnization of their marriage.
The memorandum for registration of marriages solemnized before the commencement of these Rules may be submitted within a period of one year from the date of commencement of these Rules.
The memorandum shall be signed by both the parties to the marriage and two other persons who witnessed the marriage. In the case of a marriage solemnized before a Marriage Officer appointed under any statutory provisions, the entries made in the Register of Marriages or any other register maintained for this purpose and certified by the Marriage Officer and in the case of a marriage solemnized as per religious rites, a copy of the certificate of marriage issued by the religious authority concerned may be a document in proof of the marriage. A registrtion fee of rupees ten shall be payable along with the submission of the memorandum for registration.
Marriages solemnized after the commencement of these Rules, in respect of which no memorandum is filed within the period of forty-five days and a period of one year has not expired from the date of such solemnization, may be registered subject to sub-rule (3) by the Local Registrar after imposing a fine of rupees one hundred. In such cases the memorandum shall be filed together with a declaration from a Gazetted Officer/Member of Parliament/Member of Legislative Assembly/Member of a Local Self Government Institutions in Form No. II appended to these Rules or with any other document to prove the solemnization of the marriage to the satisfaction of the Local Registrar.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."