Do parents gets notified within 30 days of registration of marriage?

Hi, I am Hindu bridegroom and I love a girl who is a muslim. We want to get married but the girl's parents against accepting a Hindu Bridegroom and I don't want to convert to Islam. So we want to register our marriage legally in case if we face any issues by her parents in future, they can't separate us. Please tell me how we can do it. Also within the 30days period of notice, will her parents be notified by the registrar office or just they publish in notice board. Note: we meet the eligibility criteria to get married and we are IT professionals who can take care of the life by ourselves.

Answers (1)

200 votes

Under Sec-5 of the Special Marriage Act, 1954, either of you shall give a written notice to the Marriage Officer having jurisdiction over your place of residence. The Marriage Officer shall enter the notice in the Marriage Notice Book kept at his office and also affix a copy of it in his office. He is not required to send a copy of the notice to anyone including your respective parents. Valid objections will be entertained only if the intended marriage could contravene any of the conditions laid down in Sec-4 of the Act. In your case, there is no such ground for raising any valid objection. Good luck.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Nikhil Singh
Singh & Associates, Hubli
2 years Experience
Advocate Ricky Chopra
Sector - 49, Gurgaon
18 years Experience
Advocate Ricky Chopra
Karkardooma Court, Delhi
18 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."