Clarification regarding name and religion change for marriage

Hi, I'm a muslim want to marry my girlfriend who is hindu. She will become a Muslim and change her name too. I need advice on when she should change her name and convert because it is necessary to give documents to court before marriage. If we marry first then her old name will be there in our marriage certificate and if she change her name she needs to apply for all the required documents for name change. Please suggest.

Answers (2)

230 votes

Hello, for changing procedure of name and religion there is need to publish your old name and new name, and your address, old religion and new religion, and sign in old and new format in state government gazette. This is the procedure of two months. Before marriage complete this process.then there is no problem.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

140 votes

You can get the marriage registered under the Special Marriages Act without any need for conversion.
Alternatively, since the girl is willing to convert, she should do the same before the marriage. However, be informed that conversion is not necessary as per law, but non-conversion is usually an issue under Muslim personal law.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."