Can i be convicted under dowry prohibition act for false case?

Dear Experts, i got married in 2014 Feb..the expenditure of marriage was shared by me and my wife's family. As they are from Vishakapatnam and unable to come here for marriage arrangement..they transferred money into my account Rs. 2 Lakhs..Immediately after marriage our relationship turned into sour because of her past life and attitude which is egoist and without remorse.....Rather than telling their daughter to settle, they preferred to ask for MCD and 5 Lakhs alimony against 2 Lakhs which they now claiming as DOWRY which they paid on my demand. Can i be convicted u/s 3 and 4 OF Dowry Prohibition Act?

Answers (1)

444 votes

Yes they can state that the amount was demanded by you as dowry and you can be prosecuted for the same.

We suggest that you should amicably settle the matter and file a Mutual Consent Divorce under Section 13 B of Hindu Marriage Act

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Pradeep Kumar
Rohini Court, Delhi
14 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."