Can husband complain NCW for women rights violation?

Can husband approach NCW in case of her wife being captivated and harassed by her family? Two families of same cast (Hindu religion) found an alliance. A grand "Ring Ceremony" was attended by all the relatives of both the families. After the engagement and just few weeks before the due wedding date, due to some differences girl's elder brother decided not to marry her sister with the same boy. After lot of efforts from the boys family, when the situation did not turn positive, boy and girl went ahead to conduct their court marriage and registered their marriage with the local marriage registrar. They got the certificate and also spent few days together. Later the girl went to her house and hoped that she will be able to convince her brother to regularise their marriage decision through a normal customs. But the girl is being thoroughly harassed and the situation may lead girl to commit suicide. Girl is educated and works as teacher in Government school. What is the legal remedy?

Answers (3)

192 votes

You can file a writ petition in Delhi High Court against parents of the girl for keeping her being captive without her will. You can also take remidies I'm Hindu Marriage Act for restitution of conjugal rights.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

203 votes

Yes, a person other than the aggrieved person( woman) can also approach NCW. However if the complaint pertains to the area within the territory of Delhi, one should first approach Delhi Commission for women. Husband may also file a Habeas Corpus . Petition before High court to produce the girl before the court.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
17 years Experience
133 votes

If the boy and girl have conducted court marriage and the same is registered they are husband and wife legally .If the girl is educated and working as teacher ,she can always decide to join her husband in matrimonial home and stay with her husband.In case thereafter the family of girl removes her from custody of husband and keeps her captive and don't allow her to the attend her school and don't permit the girl to meet of stay with husband or vice verca,the husband can move a Habeus Corpus petition in the High Court seeking directions to police and family members to produce the girl in court and the Court can unite the husband and wife and thereafter there will be no interference by the family of girl between husband and wife .

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."