Can father's property be attached for recovery of gold of my wife?

My father has 2 sons, me being the elder one. He started harassing my wife and me, just after my marriage. He took all my wife’s gold and stated that he will not give me anything. If I file a complaint that my father took all my wife’s gold and now he’s not giving it back, will his property be attached and will I get at least the property for the gold which is taken by him?


Your spouse can file a case against Domestic Violence Act against your father and she can also file a case under 498 IPC. Your spouse has the right over her stree dhan but she cannot claim anything out of the self acquired property of your father. Your father can will it to anybody at his pleasure and discretion. Kindly clarify whether the property is ancestral or your father’s self acquired property for us to assist you better.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

Sir ; I am the only unmarried son and there are one unmarried sister, father and mother in my family. A married sister also lives in her in laws house…

Read More

My father has taken monastery(sanyas) and want to hand over his properties to sons. How he can do? i. e. Which way? We are hindu.…

Read More

I am a physical handicapped person aged about 66 yrs. My 4 brothers ( 2 Elder & 2 Younger) are forcing me to give them share from my property or t…

Read More

ii am an father has taken 1986 in the name my mother. we are 2 sisters n 1 brother. now my father was no more. he died on 2006. is thr any l…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue