quesCan a married daughter claim marriage expenses from her parents

My sister got married against the wishes of my parents. My parents therefore did not make any contribution financially towards her marriage.

Now they are marrying of one of my other sisters with a lot of pomp and show.

Can my first sister claim her marriage expense from my parents?

  • ans

    Well, first and foremost it is important to understand that the only claim your sister can make shall be against any ancestral property in the hands of your father or against the proceeds of such ancestral property.

    Your father has  the exclusive right to dispose of his self acquired property as well as money in whatever manner he likes and is no way legaly bound to contribute towards your first sister's marriage. 

    Moreover, any marriage celebration related expense or cost of other articles can not be forced upon the girl's parents as this would amount to dowry which is specifically prohibited under the Indian Penal Code.

  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Consult best Family lawyers in India

Similar questions

Married daughter ko father kee property main sey hissa leyney ka right hai ,she belong…
A friend of mine has been forcefully married by her parents on 10th October 2016,…
i am 28 years male and in a relationship with a girl for over 10…
My wife has filed a false case of 125 Crpc and DMV act against me…

Family Lawyers in India

Advocate Nagesh B L

 Experience: 23 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Mohammed Abdul Quadeer

  Shree Ram Nagar
 Experience: 11 years

Advocate Ayantika Mondal

 Experience: 8 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly