Name for use in passport as name only changed in gazette not ID cards

I had changed my name and published the same in Gazette. But I did not update in other Id cards (Aadhaar, Voter Id, PAN Card). Now, If I have to apply for passport, then which name should I use in the Application - Old Name or New Name?

Answers (2)

334 votes

As you have already changed your name by a Gazette Notification, it is better to update your new name in all the relevant documents such as Aadhaar Card, PAN Card and Voter ID Card, before applying for a passport in your new name.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

213 votes

You should use New name only. As supportive document you can submit the name change order/publication copy issued by Gazette. Your name is changed legally. Old name should be used anymore as it is not valid.

Popular Documentation Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
17 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
26 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
14 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles