How to sell/dispose scooter whose registration has expired?

My scooter is 17 years old and its registration expired in 2013. How can I sell it now? In case it cannot be sold without the registration, how do I dispose it in a legal way?

Answer

Registration of vehicles is necessary since vehicles are allowed to be driven in public places only after registration by the registering authority, as under the provisions of Section 39 of the Motor Vehicle Act 1988, has been done. For a better understanding Section 39 of the Motor Vehicle Act 1988 has been reproduced as under:

Necessity for registration-

No person shall drive any motor vehicle  and no owner of a motor vehicle shall cause or permit the vehicle to be driven in  any public place or in any other place unless the vehicle is registered and the certificate of registration of the vehicle has not suspended or cancelled and the vehicle carries a registration mark displayed in the prescribed manner.

Provided that nothing in this section shall apply to a motor vehicle in possession of a dealer subject to such conditions as may be prescribed by the Central Government.

In view of aforesaid, you would have to apply for the renewal of registration certificate of your Scooter. For renewal of registration, first of all you will have to locate your concerned zonal office (RTO) and thereafter, you will have to file an application of renewal within such period and fill in the form, as may be prescribed by the Central Government. The application referred herein above shall be accompanied by the fee as prescribed under the form. The documents required for registration are as under:

1. Registration certificate in original.

2. Form 28. (NOC in duplicate)

3. Form 27.

4. Form 20.

5. Attested copy of address proof.

6. Attested copy of valid insurance.

7. Attested copy of pollution under control certificate.

8. Challan clearance from traffic police or enforcement wing of transport department. On case of commercial vehicle only.

9. Fitness certificate issued by the board of inspection. 

10. Road tax. (as applicable)

11. Prescribed fee for registration.

12. PAN Card or Form 60 & 61. (as applicable)

13. Certificate manufactured regarding emission norms.

Lastly, legally you cannot sell your scooter without a valid registration certificate. When you sell your vehicle the buyer may want to view the following documents:

a) Form 28: This pertains to the application to the RTO for an NOC if the buyer’s residence is in the area of jurisdiction of another RTO.

b) Form 29: This is for transfer of ownership of the vehicle.

c) Form 30: The form for intimation and transfer of ownership.

d) NOC from finance company if applicable.

Incase, of an expired registration certificate, the buyer may not be interested to purchase your scooter. Therefore, as per the law, the only way to dispose of your scooter is to renew your registration and thereafter sell it.