Can i do court marriage with a girl who is 16 yrs old. Parents agree.

In Documentation Law

I am 21+ and am doing my job. I love a girl and she is 16+ and she is being mentally tortured by her mother a lot. Her mother doesn't want her to be with her anymore. Her parents want us to get married so that she can leave the House. My parents are also ok for our marriage.

I heard and saw on Google that according to Hindu Law a Girl of age 16+ can get married only if her Parents agree. So can we do a Court Marriage? Would that be a Legal Way?

Answers (1)

444 votes

As per the Constitution of India, the age of attaining majority is 18 years and also as per the Hindu Marriage Act, the girl can marry when she attains the age of majority as per the law, i.e., the age of 18. Also, marriage with a person who has not attained majority is in contravention of Child Marriage Prohibition Act.

The Supreme Court in various judgement has also observed that it is difficult to fix a straight jacket formula to fix the age of girls to attain marriage. We would not recomend you marrying a girl who has not yet attained majority, but if her mother is not treating her right, there are other legal meaures, to ensure that she gets a good life.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.


Popular Documentation Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
28 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
14 years Experience
Advocate Atulay Nehra
Sector 137, Noida
10 years Experience

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles