×

quesCan i do court marriage with a girl who is 16 yrs old. Parents agree.

I am 21+ and am doing my job. I love a girl and she is 16+ and she is being mentally tortured by her mother a lot. Her mother doesn't want her to be with her anymore. Her parents want us to get married so that she can leave the House. My parents are also ok for our marriage.

I heard and saw on Google that according to Hindu Law a Girl of age 16+ can get married only if her Parents agree. So can we do a Court Marriage? Would that be a Legal Way?

As per the Constitution of India, the age of attaining majority is 18 years and also as per the Hindu Marriage Act, the girl can marry when she attains the age of majority as per the law, i.e., the age of 18. Also, marriage with a person who has not attained majority is in contravention of Child Marriage Prohibition Act.

The Supreme Court in various judgement has also observed that it is difficult to fix a straight jacket formula to fix the age of girls to attain marriage. We would not recomend you marrying a girl who has not yet attained majority, but if her mother is not treating her right, there are other legal meaures, to ensure that she gets a good life.

• Apply For Name Change In CBSE Marksheet/Birth Certificate

Click here to see all Documentation Legal Services